Anxiety can feel like an unbeatable force that affects multiple aspects of your life. This is because anxiety affects how you think, how you physically feel, and how you act. Your anxiety is probably getting in the way of how you’re doing at work, how you’re getting along with your family and friends, and stopping you from achieving your goals. When anxiety is seeping into so many parts of your life you can feel like anxiety has taken over.
Anxiety Affects Your Thoughts
Anxiety can bring an overwhelming feeling of constant worry and fear along with racing thoughts that can feel debilitating. It is common for people experiencing anxiety to say at least one of the phrases below:
“I feel out of control”
“I don’t feel present in my life”
“I am always waiting for the other shoe to drop”
“I feel like I am going crazy”
“I don’t feel like myself”
When you experience anxiety, negative and irrational thoughts can flood your mind and feel overpowering. You might have the same negative thoughts that make you feel worried, nervous, and uneasy all day long.
Anxiety is the constant worry about what will happen in the future with the expectation that something bad will happen. Do you ever feel like you’re always expecting the worst to happen? Have you ever noticed that the thoughts that you have that make you feel anxious can sometimes start with the phrase “what if”? A question like “what if” can quickly snow ball into numerous negative thoughts that make you overwhelmed, nervous, and scared. Have you ever lied in bed dreading what will happen tomorrow at work or in a social setting? Your anxiety might have even gotten so out of control that you started avoiding things you need to do, or to participate in things you used to enjoy.
Anxiety Affects You Physically
Anxiety can wreak havoc not only on your mind but your body as well. People who experience anxiety often complain about not feeling physically well. Below are some ways that anxiety can manifest itself in physical ways. Ask yourself the following questions to see whether anxiety has been affecting you physically.
- Have you ever noticed that you can feel utterly drained of energy? Like you ran a marathon at the end of the day?
- Do you ever feel muscle soreness in your neck, back, or shoulder area?
- Does your stomach feel like it is doing cartwheels or you have butterflies when you are anxious?
- Do you have difficulty sleeping?
- Do you have chest pains or feel tightness in your chest?
- Do you ever experience dizziness?
- Do you struggle with being restless?
- Is your appetite a lot lower than normal?
- Do you experience muscle tension in your body?
- Do you get diarrhea, nausea, or stomach discomfort?
- Do you experience shortness of breath or have difficulty breathing?
You Can Learn How to Overcome Anxiety
The good news is that anxiety does not need to keep ruling your life!!! In counseling you will learn how to stop anxiety from attacking your mind and body. I am not the kind of therapist in which you will sit on a couch and just vent about your feelings and how your day went. I want to arm you with solution focused and practical techniques to combat your anxiety. In our sessions together, I will teach you how to challenge and change the negative thinking you have been engaging in which caused your anxiety. During each session you will learn a new technique, and then on your own for homework you will practice the technique in your daily life.
I want you to think of me as a personal trainer that you have hired to get your mind into the best shape possible. Just like a personal trainer, I will teach you specific techniques you need to whip your “brain muscle” into shape. I will be there to cheer you on and give you support every step of the way. I specialize in using a type of therapy called Cognitive Behavioral Therapy which is based on scientific evidence and research. Numerous research studies have shown that it is highly effective in treating anxiety. Read below to understand the benefits you will gain from us using this approach together in counseling.
Counseling Techniques Will Benefit You to:
- Become aware of the negative thoughts that have been holding you back and causing your anxiety
- Challenge and replace those negative thoughts
- Create new thoughts that are more positive, rational, and based in the present moment
- Interrupt and stop your thoughts when they are racing and spiraling out of control
- Stop engaging in behaviors that lead you to avoid the things you need to do and want to do
- Learn relaxation and meditation skills that will relieve the emotional and physical discomfort that anxiety causes
Imagine How Good It Will Feel When….
- Your body is free from tension and physical discomfort
- You sleep great throughout the night
- You are performing at your best at work and at home
- You no longer have racing thoughts and instead have peace of mind
- Avoidance is no longer a part of your life, and you are capable of doing all the things you want to do
- You have back control of your life and feel like yourself again
I am happy to share that I have a high success rate of helping my clients that struggle with anxiety. This is because I arm them with practical techniques and tools they need to fight anxiety. Please contact me to schedule an appointment today and stop letting anxiety rule your life.