CONQUER YOUR FEAR OF PUBLIC SPEAKING
Have you ever heard that when polled people’s biggest fear is speaking in public? Have you ever been nervous when you had to speak in front of others? Perhaps you have felt anxiety when you had to speak in front of others and gotten clammy hands, started sweating, felt shaky, and even rambled on. Well it’s time to learn a few tips to conquer your fears and quash your anxiety about public speaking. As a therapist and counselor I have worked with many clients on overcoming their fear about public speaking. In this article I will share with you some tips to conquer this challenge.
When people are faced with public speaking a sense of dread might come over them and an overwhelming feeling of fear. That fear and anxiety can be tied to making a mistake and saying the wrong thing, offending others, being judged, and forgetting what you wanted to say. Anxiety is caused by thinking about the future and fearing the worst case scenario. When people experience anxiety they are often having negative thoughts going over and over in their heads.
As a therapist and counselor I always emphasize to my clients that our thoughts influence our feelings and our feelings influence our actions. In order to build confidence to conquer the fear of public speaking you must change your thoughts. Having positive thoughts about public speaking has an enormous effect on how you will feel and perform. Try having thoughts that you will be successful in your performance, that you are a great speaker, that the audience will enjoy hearing you speak. Also remind yourself that no one is perfect and that everyone makes mistakes. If you have a mishap while speaking most people won’t even notice or remember it the way you do. You are the one that is magnifying it in your head.
Here are some tips that you can use when engaging in public speaking:
- Repeatedly envision yourself before you actually speak doing a great job and the audience cheering you on.
- Share with the audience your personal experience. This will help your audience connect with you.
- Be confident in your knowledge and the information you are sharing.
- Believe that the message you are sharing is important and helpful to others.
- There is no need to share with the audience that you are nervous or inexperienced. Project a sense of confidence instead.
- Be yourself and use a style that is comfortable to you. Do not try to imitate someone else’s style.
- Dress in a way that will make you feel good about yourself and that is appropriate.
- Practice your speech before hand. Ask friends and loved ones if you can practice in front of them.
Try all the tips above the next time you are faced with public speaking. Anxiety is a monster that will grow bigger and bigger if you avoid what you fear. The next time you are asked to speak in front of others accept the challenge and be confident in yourself.
ABOUT ESSENCE OF HEALING COUNSELING:
Roberta Alves is a therapist and counselor at the Essence of Healing Counseling with an office located in downtown Ft. Lauderdale. She is a Certified Anxiety Specialist and uses a scientific and evidence based type of therapy called Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. Research has shown that Cognitive Behavioral Therapy is proven to be extremely effective in treating anxiety. Roberta is truly passionate about the work she does and loves serving her clients in Ft. Lauderdale and the surrounding South Florida areas. If you want to learn the proven techniques to overcome your anxiety call 954-393-2930 to schedule an appointment today.
Essence of Healing Counseling
333 N New River Drive East, Suite # 2200, Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33301