You have noticed changes in your teenager’s behavior and mood and are worried about how they are doing. You are not quite sure what is causing their distress but you think it might be anxiety. Your teen is going through a lot right now. I want you to take a moment and place yourself in your teen’s shoes. Imagine when YOU were a teen! Right now your teen is dealing with:
- Hormone shifts affecting how they sleep, feel, and look (and you know they are obsessed with how they look)
- Having people treat them like a child but expecting them to act responsibly like an adult (without giving them the fun perks of an adult )
- Trying to get used to virtual school during COVID-19
- Having an endless amount of limitations to how they can socialize with their friends in person or being outside due to COVID-19
- Trying to adjust to this strange, new, world of coronavirus limitations
- No wonder they are feeling stressed out and anxious!
All of these factors above could be contributing to your teen feeling stressed, overwhelmed, or anxious. Read below to learn about some signs that a teen might show when they are struggling with anxiety. Your teen does not need to show all signs.