Panic Attack Therapy in Ft. Lauderdale
It feels like out of no where that your mind started racing out of control, you feel like you can’t breathe, and your heart is pumping so fast you think it’s going to explode. All of the sudden you just want to leave where you are immediately and get somewhere you feel safe. You look around and start to wonder if other people around you can tell that you are having a panic attack. You might even worry that you are going crazy or that you are going to die. Have you ever experienced something like what I just described? Then you might be one of the millions of people on this planet that suffer from panic attacks. I have had my practice in Ft. Lauderdale for many years and have seen many clients who suffer with panic attacks. Often times they come in not even knowing what panic attacks actually are. Read below to learn more about them.
What are Panic Attacks?
Many people who suffer from anxiety have had the terrifying experience of having a panic attack. A panic attack feels like a sudden wave of fear, extreme discomfort, or intense anxiety that can last minutes or even hours. A panic attack has a beginning, an end, with a horrible peak and surge in the middle. When you experience a panic attack you might feel a few of these symptoms below all at once:
- Heart palpitations or your heart feels as if it is racing
- Feeling shaky or having tremors
- Having a hard time breathing, or feeling you are being smothered or choked
- Pain, pressure, or tightness in your chest
- Nausea, diarrhea, or stomach discomfort
- Feeling dizzy, lightheaded, or even like you are going to pass out
- Getting chills or flashes of heat
- Numbness or tingling sensations
- Derealization (feelings of unreality) or depersonalization (feeling detached from yourself)
- Having an intense fear of losing control, going crazy, or dying
Panic attacks can feel so overwhelming to some people that they end up avoiding doing activities or going to places that they associate their panic attacks with. For example, a person that experiences a panic attack while driving on the highway becomes so worried about it happening again that they end up avoiding driving on highways completely. Or another person who experiences a panic attack while flying on a plane develops a fear of flying and avoids traveling. Have you ever avoided going to a place or doing something because you were afraid of having another panic attack?
Panic attacks can be so physically painful and uncomfortable that people who experience them can start to worry that they are a signal that something else is wrong with their health. Panic attacks can snowball into a worry cycle that make you think there is something wrong with your heart or that you could be suffering from a serious disease. It is very common for people to go to the emergency room the first time they experience a panic attack.
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy in Ft. Lauderdale
The good news is that panic attacks can be defeated! I specialize in using a research and evidence based approach called Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. It is has been scientifically proven through numerous studies to be highly effective in treating panic attacks. In counseling I will teach you effective techniques to stop engaging in the negative thinking patterns that cause your panic attacks. I will give you the tools you need so that you can learn to be more calm and get your body to relax to prevent a panic attack from even starting.
I bet your panic attacks have stopped you from getting job promotions, from traveling, from feeling good in relationships, and reaching your goals. Your panic attacks have been holding you back from living your life and making your mark on the world. You deserve to live a life that is free from worry and free from panic attacks.
Imagine How Good It Will Feel When…
- You stop avoiding places in which you previously had panic attacks and are free to go anywhere you want
- You stop worrying about when your next panic attack will happen
- You stop believing that your panic attacks are a signal that there is something else wrong with your health
- You stop having panic attacks completely and they are a thing of the past
- You feel free to go after all the goals you have been holding yourself back from reaching
- You have control of your life
If you are ready to learn the techniques that will help you stop having panic attacks please contact me to schedule an appointment in my office in Ft. Lauderdale or from the comfort of your own home via a video session and let’s get started!