Pre-teen & Teen Anxiety Therapy
You have noticed changes in your pre-teen or teen’s behavior and mood and are worried about how they are doing. You are not quite sure what is causing their distress but you think it might be anxiety. Have you noticed any of the signs of anxiety below in your child?
How Anxiety Can Show Up in Pre-teens & Teens
- Spends a lot of time worrying
- Has a difficult time concentrating and focusing
- Thinks that things that haven’t happened yet will go wrong or turn out badly
- Gets really anxious before a test or a project they will have to present in front of the class
- Has less of an appetite than they used to
- Does not want to be left alone and feels better if their parents or loved ones are constantly around
- Feels nervous often
- Gets overwhelmed easily
- Wants to avoid going to school, hanging out with friends, or participate in activities
- Worries about the safety of their loved ones and fears something bad will happen to them (parents/siblings/or even themselves)
- Has been having a hard time sleeping
If you recognized some of the signs above in your pre-teen or teen, then your child might be struggling with anxiety. I would love the opportunity to work with your child to help them gain practical skills to learn to cope better with their stress and anxiety. In counseling your pre-teen or teen will learn to change the negative and irrational thinking they have been engaging in which has caused their anxiety. I will teach them specific techniques to shift their thinking patterns to be more rational, healthy, and positive.
Your child will also learn multiple relaxation skills they can use on a daily basis to combat their anxiety and stress level. These relaxation techniques will help your pre-teen or teen learn how to slow their racing thoughts, improve their focus, quiet their mind, and improve their sleep.
Pre-teen & Teen Therapy in Ft. Lauderdale
I understand that anxiety does not happen in a bubble. Your child’s anxiety might be spilling over into other areas of their life and making things more difficult. In addition to working with your pre-teen or teen to deal with anxiety I can also work with them on:
- Social skills and communication skills
- Peer relationships & peer pressure
- Academic performance
- Coping with separation or divorce
- Time management & organizational skills
- Issues with internet, cell phone, and social media use
- Preparing for college
Imagine How Great It Will Be When…
- Your child is able to manage their own stress and anxiety so that they are more focused at school and at home
- Their anxiety stops negatively affecting their performance at school
- Your pre-teen or teen feels more confident and comfortable socializing with other children their age
- Your child is sleeping better throughout the night
- You no longer have to worry about your child and your own stress about their well being is over because they are finally happy and healthy
If your pre-teen or teen would benefit from learning effective techniques to deal with their anxiety call me to schedule an appointment today in my Ft. Lauderdale office and let’s get started!